register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Friday, July 22, 2011

vegan butter/margarine



It is one of a few things that I haven't had for a looong time. Butter and Margarine. It is not just because I choose not to eat dairy but also for a health reasons. Many so called vegan products have vegan margarine which is full of processed synthetic chemicals including preservatives, GMO corn and soy, palm oil and hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fat. If you have heard that saturated fat is not your friend these trans fatty acids are worse than saturated fat.

Anyway, I don't have an urge to have puff pastry or cream frosting anymore. However I started thinking I wanted to make those pastry dishes so that my daughter, who loves a croissant or pastry dessert when her father gives them to her, will enjoy my version of them.
The first thing was making vegan margarine. and you know me by now I want it to be made with real food.
And I have to say it was a SUCCESS!
All the ingredients includes, coconut oil, soy milk, salt, apple cider vinegar, sunflower oil and soy lecithin. It was my first time to have used soy lecithin. I did some research and concluded that it is an ok product and I did manage to get organic.

Making pastry is pretty labour intensive. I don't know when I will get to that....

No comments:

Post a Comment