register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

macrobiotic cooking class by Deco Nakajima




I do try to expose myself to other people's cooking and teachings as much as possible to learn things from them and the experiences (good and bad!). Because I have been quite busy lately I hadn't had a chance to do so for a while.
When I heard that Deco Nakajima was coming to do a macrobiotic cooking class all the way from Japan I knew I had to take this opportunity.
For those of you who don't know her, She has a place called Brown's Field, macrobiotic farm just out of Tokyo. It is a centre of sustainable living where people from around the world come to experience macrobiotic and organic living.

I did meet her once when I was at a macrobiotic conference in japan a couple of years ago but didn't get to talk much.
On Sunday I feel like I got to know her a bit more as I stayed after the class to help her and her team clean up. I also run cooking class and I know how good it is to have an extra hand cleaning up afterwards!

Dishes include
soba sushi (with tempeh and avocado)
carrot and green beans with walnut miso dressing
millet ball
marinated mehijiki and lentils
brown rice balls and more

Deco's demonstration was so smoothly done, especially considering she needed to be translated. Her passion for nourished food and organic, sustainable living was such a great thing to feel....

thanks for the pleasant afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment